I’ve been working with a new group that sends me products for review. One of the recent boxes on my doorstep was a nifty set of all natural, organic dyes! I was super excited to try these because I had promised one of my stepdaughter’s friends birthday cupcakes. Her favorite color was green, so I yanked off the wrapping and got coloring.
The Nature’s Flavours dyes come in glass bottles, and must be refrigerated. I love the heft of the bottle and not feeling like I am going to squeeze a little plastic dispenser so hard that the coloring will fly everywhere. (Yes, I know this from sad experience!) The box is sturdy enough that I can store the entire set in one spot of the fridge and not have to worry about the bottles rolling all over.
Since the colors are all natural, they don’t have the fakey neon look of other food coloring. I liked the difference in a more natural color. It didn’t take a ton of coloring to get a nice shade either. At first I worried I would have to use half the bottle to get a nice shade of green, but I didn’t!
My requisite taste test of frosting delivered no surprises either. Another thought at the back of my mind was that with the dyes being plant based, the frosting would taste like beans or grass or something icky. Not so!
Everything turned out just right and from all reports the cupcakes were well received! To order your own set or to check out more all natural products you can find Nature’s Flavors online at their website, on facebook and twitter.
Disclosure: I was provided Nature’s Flavours Rainbow Pack of Natural Colors for review in affiliation with www.itsaglamthing.com I was not compensated for this review. All opinions and photos are my own.
I’ve been a busy little bee down in my sewing room over the last little while. I have Pinterest and Instagram to thank for my recent fabric re-obsession. It’s hard for me to see so many gorgeous photos of other people’s projects and not be inspired. So far I’ve made a seat back organizer, a lap quilt, a tote bag and a makeup bag, with several other projects lined up! Behold:
We seem to have acquired another cat. We waited several days, trying to locate an owner for this little lump of skin and bones we found freezing on the front porch. Now he has been named: Hugo. He’s scared shitless of anything that moves, but drum practice didn’t faze him at all. He’s super cute, but literally skin and bones. I can feel each bone in his body. I’m afraid to rub his fur too hard in case it’s tender to have your bones poking out so.
He’s not the kitty I would have chosen for our last baby, but he must have known which porch was the best. He’s hit the jackpot here. Isn’t he cute? He better be, ’cause we aren’t getting any more kitties for a long, LONG time.
Today is my chicken baby girl’s birthday. She decided on a room makeover. Now, I don’t know how most people go about a room makeover, but I don’t have a few grand to throw at a 14 year old’s room, so we started small. I bought a few thrifted and clearance items to get us started – wall art, an ottoman and a set of letters that spell her name. With those things out of the way, I had to start thinking bigger. It will be up to her to decide on paint, so I didn’t tackle that for her. Instead I DIYed a bedspread.
As we were talking about how she wants her room to look, I directed her to Pinterest for some eye candy. Of course she found an amazing bedspread from Urban Outfitters that was completely and utterly out of the budget. (I didn’t even spend that much on my own bedding!)
Here’s the inspiration bedding:
Now, this puppy retails at over $150. Nuh-uh. No way, no how. So I set about to recreate this as best I could with thrifted materials. I knew that I would have to buy yards and yards of fabric, which wasn’t in the budget either, so I went a hunting for a blanket and sheets that I could dye. My girl asked for charcoal gray. Baby I tried my best, but apparently my fabric dying skills aren’t up to snuff.
Turns out that when you want dark gray or black fabric from white fabric, you don’t actually use black dye. I got a gorgeous purple. Three times. Then I started adding other color dye to see what I could come up with. Long story short, I ended up with a slightly green tinted gray! Success! (sort of!) The blanket and one sheet were the same color, and the other sheet came out light gray. And not a nice matchy combo. So, I ditched the light gray sheet in favor of coordinating the ruffles and blanket.
I bought a gathering foot for my machine and ruffled the heck outta those ripped strips! For a bit of interest, I added a trim of grosgrain ribbon to separate the ruffles from the rest of the blanket, and with the left over sheeting, made a pillowcase with ribbon trim! She likes it!
Here’s my handiwork, with some improvisation thrown in. It’s not a copy, but I kind of like that it isn’t exactly like what we could buy in a store.
We’ve got some work ahead of us, but I think we are off to a great bedroom makeover start! Stay tuned for more progress.